What is CAT?
CAT brings pediatricians and lawyers together, drawing on the strengths of two powerful professions, to ensure that families can meet the basic needs of their children for health care, housing, education, nutrition and family stability, all crucial to a child’s health and development and all impacted dramatically by poverty.
This innovative collaboration focuses on preventative law and healthier children for our future.
Who can CAT assist?
- Families with chronically ill children who need legal assistance to ensure their child’s health needs.
- Families who qualify for Medicaid or KCHIP but are not receiving the benefit.
- Families who may need legal assistance in dealing with substandard housing issues.
- Families who may have other legal issues impacting their child’s health.
How can CAT assist?
- Health care professionals will be trained to identify the effect of legal issues on a child’s health.
- Free preventative legal assistance will be provided for income-eligible patients.
- CAT will consult with health care providers regarding cases appropriate for referrals.
- Cases will be referred to other civil legal service or volunteer agencies.